If you love to use Whatsapp on multiple devices and need the same data on all devices. Worry not, for you can always retrieve your WhatsApp data! All you have to do is sync it through Google Drive. Fortunately, it’s now easier than ever to backup and restores your Whatsapp chats using Google Drive (or even iCloud for iOS).
You can restore your WhatsApp data from Google Drive to your phone. If a backup file is available for your account, WhatsApp will restore this data (including media and emoji) to your phone.
This service is provided by Google for free, so you should be able to easily backup and restore Whatsapp data on your android phone using the WhatsApp Backup service. If you’ve never used this service before, the first time you open WhatsApp after setting up your Google Drive account, you may be asked if you want to start a backup. Tap “Yes” on this screen to start backing up.
Once the process finishes, your WhatsApp chats are backed up automatically once a day to Drive over WiFi. The first backup may take some time as it depends on how much media (photos, videos, and voice messages) your conversation histories include. This article provides the steps to restore WhatsApp backup from Google Drive.
Step-by-Step Guide On How to Restore Whatsapp Data?
- First, Make sure you have enabled the ‘Back up to Google Drive’ option on your whatsapp messenger.
- Open WhatsApp and go to Menu Button > Settings > Chats > Chat backup.
- Select ‘Back up to Google Drive’ and set backup frequency as per your need. You may also want to select which Google Account to back up your WhatsApp data with.
- After that open Google Drive and create a new folder. You can name it however you like.
- Then move the WhatsApp folder from your old phone to this new folder on drive.
- Go ahead and transfer all google files from old phone to new phone using USB cable or any other method.
- Once all the files are transferred, Download whatsapp software on the new phone using some application downloader (e.g Play Store).
- Now install and open the app, chances are that it’s asking for restoring chats from local backup.
- Select yes/cancel in this case (I remember i selected cancel), then close the app immediately after that.
- Now open the file explorer in your android device (if you don’t have one, download it for free from play store) search for “WhatsApp” folder on sdcard (/sdcard/WhatsApp), copy this whole WhatsApp folder and save it on some.
How to Restore Whatsapp Chats on an iPhone?
- Restore your chat history from an iCloud backup.
- Verify that an iCloud backup exists in WhatsApp Settings > Chats > Chat Backup
- Please Note: You can only restore your chat history from iCloud if the backup file stored on our servers was updated very recently.
Additionally, restoring a chat history to a different iPhone will cause you to lose any chat history on your new iPhone. To maintain a local backup of your chat history, you need to periodically back up your chats to iCloud.
What If You Failed to Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive?
When you want to restore Whatsapp messages from Google Drive backup, you can follow the above steps. But it could fail in some cases. Are there any solutions? Of course, you can use the professional WhatsApp Recovery tool to help you extract WhatsApp data from Google Drive and restore them successfully.
There is a possibility that you have backed up on Google drive but your phone is different like before, so WhatsApp will not be restored. You need to take care of the following points: The new phone with the same make and model of your previous phone/ Data available in your Google Drive account./You have installed the same WhatsApp account. If these conditions are not met, you cannot restore WhatsApp from Google Drive.